First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India
It is clearly mentioned in UGC's new guidelines for Major and Minor Research Projects that:
1. For Major Research Projects, Only the teaching faculty of Library Science, Physical Education, Principals and Vice-Chancellors will also be eligible to participate in the scheme. (Reference Page 3 of http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/7716504_12th-plan-guidelines.pdf).
2. For Minor Research Projects, Only the teaching faculty of Library Science, Physical Education will also be eligible to participate in the scheme. (Reference Page 2 of http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/6733319_12th-plan-Minor.pdf).
1. Two words "only" and "also" are against Librarians. The Librarians are intentionally kept away from UGC Major and Minor research projects.
2. Through the advertisement UGC is conveying a message that librarians are not academic or teaching staff.
3. In the API score of Library professionals (which is recently abandoned for recruitment but used for short-listing of candidates), the table of Major and Minor Research projects are still there and UGC is keeping the Librarians away from it. Both of these are contradictory in nature.
1. Does UGC is planning to make it bitter for the Librarians in the days to come?
1. University Grants Commission Research Project for Teachers XII Plan Guidelines (2012-2017). Website: http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/7716504_12th-plan-guidelines.pdf
2. University Grants Commission Minor Research Project for Teachers XII Plan Guidelines (2012-2017). Website: http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/6733319_12th-plan-Minor.pdf
3. Librarians are Not Eligible to Apply for UGC Major and Minor Research Project. Website: http://lislinks.com/forum/topics/librarians-are-not-eligible-to-app...
Keeping the Track of This Burning Issue
Post 1: Librarians are Not Eligible to Apply for UGC Major and Minor Research Project: http://lislinks.com/forum/topics/librarians-are-not-eligible-to-app...
Post 2: Draft Letter to UGC to Include Librarian in Eligibility to Apply for Major/Minor Research Project. http://lislinks.com/forum/topics/letter-to-ugc-to-include-librarian...
Post 3: Sign the Petition: Inclusion of Librarians in the UGC Major and Minor Research Projects. http://lislinks.com/forum/topics/sign-the-petition-inclusion-of-lib...
Post 4: LIS Links Press Release: UGC Major and Minor Research Project. http://lislinks.com/forum/topics/lis-links-press-release-ugc-major-...
Post 5: MHRD and UGC Reply: Librarians are not Eligible for UGC Major and Minor Research Projects. http://lislinks.com/forum/topics/mhrd-and-ugc-reply-librarians-are-...
Replies are closed for this forum.
So at last an end to the debate, librarians are now in non-teaching staff register.
Green flag from UGC
You are very much right Jasimudeen.
Denying from UGC Major and Minor Projects doesn't mean that librarians are no more academicians. They are, that is why the API score is required for librarians. Denying from the projects is basically because of the non-familiarity of the policy makers with librarians' job.
Thanks for your comment. Let me again not discuss whether the Librarians are Teachers or not. Its a much debatable topic throughout India.Here the main point is Libraries are debarred from taking research topic and in my view the academician in Library and Information Science will not be able to address the problem that are facing by Librarians. Though we are in the same profession but the duties, responsibilities, working conditions all are different.
Dr. Vinod Kumar
Please don't think like that, this is the fist step to degrade librarian, lots of things will come one by one.
I think in this case all the academicians will come together against practising librarians....including the teachers of Library and Information Science.
Now we should stand together to fight against this.
Dear friends Barman and Vaghese
Both of you have taken it otherwise. I wrote as a reply of Barman ji to Jasimudeen when he wrote as "You are very much right" against
"So at last an end to the debate, librarians are now in non-teaching staff register"
My purpose was to convey that teaching or non-teaching should be the target.
Otherwise I have the same view as both of you.
I am adding some more points to this...
This will be the test dose from the teaching community...if we are siting idle will loose one by one
i think shame on us to choose this profession
These are the reasons why the posts of university librarian remained vacant in many state universities.
1. The first one is the requirement of 18 years of experience as college librarian or 13 years a University Deputy Librarian which can nowhere be seen in the whole higher education system.
2. The second one is the API score of 400 which is not so easy to earn without projects and being Research supervisor.
3. The third point is ineligibility of librarians for UGC Major and Minor projects.
4. The fourth one is that if a person who has such a long experience of 18 years will not go anywhere or if he goes in other state, as per new pension rules, he will loose pension benefits.
Well said sir !!!
why its happening to the librarians, in private sector Librarians consider as non teaching staff, they are not ready consider as teaching staff,if government sector also done the same, then condition of Librarians ?
Thanks Saritha for raising the issue of Librarians working in Private Sector. We all know that it is happening but we are siting ideal. No body is doing anything (including myself off course).