LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

LIS Links Becoming More Social

Latest Activity

Bidyut Bikash Kalita posted an event

7 Days Faculty Development Programme (FDP) on AI IN EDUCATION AND RESEARCH at Assam

October 9, 2026 at 6pm to October 15, 2026 at 7pm
13 hours ago
Namita Bayan is attending Paradip Sen Roy's event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on "Library Automation Using Koha" at Online

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
yesterday
Hemanta Kumar Biswal posted an event
Thumbnail

National Conference on “Intelligent and Smart Digital Library (ISDL-2026)” at IIT Kharagpur at IIT Kharagpur

December 21, 2026 at 9am to December 22, 2026 at 6pm
yesterday
S. Jaffer Basha left a comment for Sanjana Saini
Saturday
Sanjana Saini and S. Jaffer Basha are now friends
Friday
Shariyan Ahmed and INDU ROHILLA are now friends
Friday
S. Jaffer Basha joined Dr. Badan Barman's group
Friday
Dr.S.Raonak Salim left a comment for S. Jaffer Basha
Thursday
Dr.S.Raonak Salim updated their profile
Thursday
Dr. U. PRAMANATHAN and Dr. Anjaneya Naik are now friends
Thursday
Raj Tilak posted an event

6th LISACON 2026 at Bangalore. India

November 12, 2026 at 9am to November 14, 2026 at 5pm
Thursday
Paradip Sen Roy shared their event on Facebook
Thursday
Dr. Manoj Das posted an event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on Library Automation Using Koha at Cooch Behar, West Bengal

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
Thursday
Paradip Sen Roy posted an event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on "Library Automation Using Koha" at Online

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
Thursday
Dr. Anil Kumar Jharotia posted discussions
Thursday
PINKEY RAI updated their profile
Sep 22
Dr. Mohan Laxman Jamdade updated their profile
Sep 21
Sanjana Saini and Paradip Sen Roy are now friends
Sep 20
Dr. Gulshan Kumar Sachdeva replied to Dr. Gulshan Kumar Sachdeva's discussion Call for Paper - LPF Global Journal of Social Sciences and Management
Sep 20
OSS Prasad shared their event on Facebook
Sep 20

UGC Notification: B.L.I.Sc. and M.L.I.Sc. Should be Restructured / Changed to B. Lib. I. Sc. and M. Lib. I. Sc.

In University Grants Commission (UGC), Specification of Degrees, New Delhi March, 2014, Published in the Gazette of India, New Delhi, Saturday, July 5 - July 11, 2014, the UGC asked the Universities and Institutes to restructured / changed the B.L.I.Sc. to B. Lib. I. Sc. and M.L.I.Sc. to M. Lib. I. Sc. Again both the B. Lib. I. Sc and M. Lib. I. Sc should be of one year programme. As per UGC, the University / Institute can also offer B.Lib.Sc. and M.Lib.Sc. of one year duration.

This Gazette notification clearly pushing us to go backward. Here are some of my personal observation regarding this

1. A one year M.Lib.I.Sc. degree holder will not be in a position to equate themselves to the general master degree holders in others subjects as there will be a gap of one year in comparison to other's two years master degree programme. Even the master degree holders in other subject, will treat our subject as an inferior to their subject and there will be a sound logic behind this. It was happened when we used to have one year B.Lib.I.Sc. and one year M.Lib.I.Sc in the past and was the logic behind now two years M.Lib.I.Sc. programme.

2. If any university will introduce two years M.Lib.I.Sc degree then the entry qualification should be one year B.Lib.I.Sc. degree. So, in such cases, the students should have to undergo three years programme to complete the M.Lib.I.Sc degree. If it is the case why we cannot have three years B.Lib.I.Sc and two years M.Lib.I.Sc. degree programme. It will make the whole programme at par with other subject.

3. Some universities and institutions are not offering hostel facilities to the students who are enrolling for a single year programme. So, both the B.Lib.I.Sc. and M.Lib.I.Sc. degree aspirants will not be able to apply for the hostel facilities.

There are obviously other issues, that will negatively influence the subject.

See the official notification here: http://goo.gl/V93DvW

Views: 4640

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Though the gazette notification stipulates truncated 1-ear BLIS and 1-year MLIS programmes, universities may also opt for 2-year integrated MLIS programme as stipulated in the guiding principle of this gazette notification (p.2993).

RSS

© 2026   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

LIS Links whatsApp