LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

LIS Links Becoming More Social

Latest Activity

Ashutosh Joshi is attending Hemanta Kumar Biswal's event
Thumbnail

National Conference on “Intelligent and Smart Digital Library (ISDL-2026)” at IIT Kharagpur at IIT Kharagpur

December 21, 2026 at 9am to December 22, 2026 at 6pm
3 hours ago
Profile IconShubhanshu Vishwakarma, KAMALDEEP, Dk and 13 more joined LIS Links
5 hours ago
Dr. Badan Barman posted an event

7th National Conference on Management of Modern Libraries (NACML– 2027) on “Contemporary Approaches to Libraries: Emerging Technologies, Services, and Skills at Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal, Karnataka

January 29, 2027 at 10am to January 30, 2027 at 5pm
16 hours ago
Shariyan Ahmed posted a blog post
16 hours ago
Dr. V. Senthur Velmurugan posted an event
16 hours ago
Biswaranjan Jayanti Manna posted an event
Thumbnail

IASLIC 31st National Seminar 2026 on Adaptive Libraries: Resilience and Innovation at Bansuri Guru Auditorium, Institute of Technical Education & Research, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India

December 28, 2026 to December 30, 2026
16 hours ago
Dr.Giriraj Halkar posted a discussion
16 hours ago
CHIKKUDU VENKATA MURALI updated their profile
17 hours ago
Dr. Badan Barman and Paradip Sen Roy are now friends
17 hours ago
Umasankar Mahata is attending Dr. Manoj Das's event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on Library Automation Using Koha at Cooch Behar, West Bengal

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
21 hours ago
Umasankar Mahata is attending Paradip Sen Roy's event
Thumbnail

Two-Day Online National Workshop on "Library Automation Using Koha" at Online

October 2, 2026 at 11am to October 3, 2026 at 5pm
21 hours ago
Jayvardhan Singh updated their profile
yesterday
S. Jaffer Basha left a comment for Pallavi Sushant Sapkal
Wednesday
Anju sagar posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"Dear All Librarian, PFA Call for Book Chapters/Research Papers for Edited Book To be Published with ISBN under IIP International Publi"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you upCall for Chapters Transforming Libraries in the Age of AI: Towards a Smarter Knowledge Ecosystem to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Sangeeta Manohar Sonawane posted a status
"What are you up to?"
Tuesday
Ankush Nandkishor Makode shared Dr. Badan Barman's group on Facebook
Monday

Any Simpler and Free Library Automation Software than Koha?

Hello All,

Hope you are having a good day. I am new to this forum and new to LIS in general. I found this resourceful site Googling the difference between Accession No vs Call No vs Book No, and I must confess that's all I know of library automation. 

Two weeks ago, my friend asked to help digitalize our local library which has over 12,000 books. Being a software developer and one totally ignorant of the problem at hand, I readily said yes and installed Koha. After a week of fiddling, my friend came back saying Linux was hard, so I reinstalled Koha on windows for them. They did manage to get over 3000 books into Koha but now they find Koha to be hard for an average volunteer to use. Most people who manage books here work as clerks or primary school teachers and volunteer their time in library.

So now I am looking for a simple free alternative that a minimally trained layman can use, if possible running on windows. Any suggestions are welcome. 

Greetings,

Nahar

Views: 1615

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Try the NewGenLib Software ...

NewGenLib looks great, more featurepacked than koh, but my gut feeling says it may be a bit too complex for an untrained eye. I'll anyway show it to them and see the response. Thank you for the suggestion.

how to install koha please send your mobile number i want to install koha

I am not sure if I will be of much help, anyhow I will be happy to help the way I can. You can reach me on 9744410015.

9958198239

You can go for Mandarin M3... It's very easy to Install and and even a layman can operate it after a minimal understanding.

It can be found at  https://www.mlasolutions.com/products

It's a full working Demo (no limitation).... All you need to request them online to send you the download demo

Thank you for the helpful suggestion. Its bit of a cryptic interface, very organised but  maybe not for the layman. Looks like I will have to create simple tool. 

Sir, are u using it ?

Yea, I created a new tool and our library has started using it. You can try it here if you wish, its still under work. 

Sir how to import all record (excel file)in it

Well, there isn't an easy method to do it yet but it will be implemented in future as time allows. You can mail (mail2nahar@gmail.com) the excel sheet and I will generate a database for you.

abdal bhai how to download 

RSS

© 2026   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

LIS Links whatsApp