Reporting to: Vice Chancellor, Ahmedabad University
The incumbent will be responsible for the University’s Library, providing leadership and guiding the collection acquisition and development, budgeting, maintenance and formation of state of the art library services, physical space, adoption information technology and development, website development, and strategic planning. The ideal candidate will be a collegial, visionary, experienced leader, with the proven ability to manage, develop, and forward the strategic vision of an academic research library, while successfully implementing operational details and managing staff.
- The University Librarian will develop a vision, reorganise and set up the University library to ensure it embodies a model of modern librarianship with contemporary relevant professional development and digitalisation in the library sector.
- Develop and manage collections of books and journals (both paper and electronic), as well as websites; advance the research and teaching mission of the University by supporting the quest for new knowledge through dissemination of relevant information and creative experimentation of ideas and concepts.
- Foster a culture of service in support of University students, faculty, and staff by academically contributing to them and liaising with them regularly delivering relevant information.
- Will serve as an ambassador and participate representing the University in professional groups or networks, develop network with other academic research libraries, regional and national library associations.
- Deal with budgets in relation to the allocated subject areas/departments and, in some cases, purchase resources
- Maintain relationships with external bodies, such as suppliers etc.
- Work closely with the university leadership and with deans and department chairs to prioritize and focus future library developments.
- Will recruit, develop, motivate, and evaluate a Library workforce in alignment with job expectations, professional roles, and the University mission. A central element of this responsibility will be to foster future leaders and professionalism.
- Must have atleast 10 years of experience as a librarian at a senior level in an educational institution of repute.
- Experience of working on a Library management software which are contemporary.
- Experience in Library, Security access surveillance systems.
- Good exposure to Digital Library/Library automation systems.
- Excellent Communication skills, verbal & written.
- Master’s degree in Library & Information Science.
- PhD will be an added advantage.