LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Many of My Students, Juniors and Friends ask me "Why MPhil Now? Is it valid?"

Just read the following lines...

1. What is Validity of a degree? Yes, in terms of NET exemption it is not valid. but it is a still a good degree. Think about pre-2006 Mphil. Why they did MPhil? Then there was no NET exemption.

2. Mphil has additional marks in College Librarian/ Univ Asst Librarian Interview.

3. If you join College/University with Mphil+NET, you will get 2 additional increment.

4. If you complete MPhil during service, you will be offered, 1 additional increment.

5. Once You have done MPhil with course work, you need not to go for course work again during PhD.

6. Easier to get a seat in PhD later.

7. With MPhil you will be promoted to Senior Scale in 5 years. Advantage of 1 year. normal is 6 years with out Mphil/PhD..

So, my friend, "SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING"

Go for MPhil at least, if you could not get a seat in Phd. .

I still regret for not doing MPhil during the priod 2007-08 when I was sitting idle for a PhD seat in GULIS.

Views: 2040

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Definitely your view is good sir if we get any degree it will useful it may be future or present.

Very informative ....thank you very much for your valuable suggestion.

Nice thought.......thanks

Yeah really its good information fr us, i thnk most of professionals are nt aware the important f it except relief in phd admission course-work, like me.... Once again Thnku so much fr sharing wth us..

Dear Sir,

Really nice write up... It got me inspired to do MPhil.

Sir small clarification, Is M Phil holders will get exemption from PhD Course work? If you have any GR pls share.

Thanks

Mam

Pre Phd Exam exemption from Mphil.But Course work compulsory

Nice sir

Dear Sri Majumder,

Thanks for your post and addressing an academic issue in real life requirement.

This is of course praiseworthy and I am sure that it will attract many more posts from aspiring young professionals.

However, my context is in a bit different note, and that is about the viability of such courses.

Of Course it is solely my own personal feelings and beliefs. 

As I understand, in our education system, a gap lies between Masters Degrees and Doctoral Research and M.Phil courses are supposed to  act as a bridge course to fill in the gaps. In our Masters Classes (irrespective of any branch) we are mostly intrigued to scoring a First Class or a Distinction. In such academic discourses, one (mostly) becomes familiar with the classroom oriented teaching.

Research, as I understand about it, is a bit different from the orthodox classroom teaching.

As such, many of us are often puzzled as to what should we do in Doctoral Research. I hope you might have noticed in this forum many young professionals are asking for Suitable Research Topics which means that they are confused about the work.

This is not only the case of LIS, but also in other subject fields as well. Here, at this juncture, doing M.Phil helps them. They learn about how to select a topic, and more importantly, they learn to VISUALIZE the task ahead in its full form. Gradually, they learn to analyze each segment of the work (in many case it is observed that Ph.D Topics are some what extended part of one's M.Phil dissertations!)

In our institute we conduct M.Phil Course and earlier it was called RTP  meaning Research Training Programme  And as I personally feel M.Phil is truly speaking, a form of formal Training or Orientation Course for doing Doctoral Research.

There is no denying that some of the Ph.D. Theses are not up to the mark,(this is a natural & global phenomena and NOT of our country only!)  but as I observe, the purpose of doing Ph.D has become a compelling necessity to those individuals to set a foot forward in professional ladder which you have adequately explained in your post.

Sincerely,

Siddhartha Shankar Ray, Calcutta

I do agree with the observation of Mr. S.S.Roy.

Regards,

Very well said by Shri S.S. Ray

Nice thought...

Thanks sir

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop