LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Members

Dear friends,

Last week I attented training on “Innovative and Emerging Technology for Library Professionals” in which we were informed that the copyright act regarding Intellectual property was amended in 2012 and this act allows us to digitized any material ( i.e. books) available in our library and put on our Intranet but not on internet. This will not be a violation of law. 

But friends I am not able to collect the copy of the law where it is exactly mentioned.  Can anybody tell from where the exact amendment made in law can be taken, so that I can get approval by mentioning that attached copy showing the amendment made in 2012 regarding digitization of books.

Views: 1226

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

If digitization is allowed, by the same logic, institutions should be allowed to make photocopies of 'any' materials (end to end) for closed circulation. 

This would deprive the author of his 'royalty'.!!!

Sir,

When Institution purchased any book, naturally it is for the whole institution not for individualy. It can be used by any employee of that institution.  Digitization is only helping the employees to read it on their desktop and can be used by all employees at a time if more than one employees wants to read it.  There is no depriving of the author of his royalty,  in my views.

Yes madam you are absolutely right.

Refer Clause (n) this facilitate digitization of libraries. Page No. 11 madam.

Thanks a lot Mr. Manjunathji. I am really grateful to you. Now I can mentioned this clause.

regards,

Shiromani

Mr. Manjunath please clear one more thing, that this clause (n) is applicable to non-commercial special library also. Because ours is a non-commercial special library which is used only by employees of Indianoil corporation Ltd.  Please clarify or tell if there is anyother clause which is applicable to our library for digitization of books and putting on intranet of the organization.

regards,

Shiromani

I have little bit confusions about that madam. But read this article madam i think this will help you.

http://www.ip-watch.org/2013/01/22/development-in-indian-ip-law-the...

Thanks Manjunathji, I have read the same earlier. But that was clear to me that' why I enquired here.  Section n refers to non-commercial public library. I want to know the if same is applicable to non-commercial special library.  Make this clear.

I think the same will be applicable to Special library also madam.

Is it possible to get the confirm same from any Govt. Agency dealing with the issue so that no legal problem arises in future If carry out this work. Can you help  who can do this.

Regards,

Shrioamani

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop