LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

MCI Rules Regarding Books & Journals in a Medical Library

Can any one inform me whether the MCI  (Medical Council of India) has any guidelines about number of books (Indian & Foreign) & Journal titles which are mandatory for a Medical College Library conducting both UG & PG  Courses?

Views: 3673

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Sir,

Norms of MCI for 100 admission, Please find the link:

http://www.mciindia.org/for-colleges/Minimum%20Standard%20Requireme...
MCI LOI, LOP & Renewal process is here:

http://www.mciindia.org/for-colleges/LOI,LOP,Renewal.pdf

Many Thanks Janab Md. Aslam Saab

Regards,

Siddhartha S. Ray, Calcutta

its' my pleasure.

For 50 admission

Central library *There shall be an air-conditioned Central Library (1000 Sq.m) with seating arrangement for at least 100 students for reading and having good lighting and ventilation and space for stocking and display of books and journals. There shall be one room for 50 students inside and one room for 50 students outside. It should have 6 not less than 5000 text and reference books. In a new medical college the total number of books should be proportionately divided on yearly basis in five years. The number of journals shall be 100 out of which one-third shall be foreign journals and subscribed on continuous basis. The number of copies of textbooks in each subject of undergraduate teaching shall be ten. There shall be provision for – a. Staff reading room for 15 persons; b. Rooms for librarian and other staff; c. Journal room; d. Room for copying facilities; e. Video and Cassette room; f. Air-conditioned Computer room with Medlar and Internet facility with minimum of 15 nodes. Medical colleges should have skill labs and adopt information technology in teaching medicine. There shall be provision for e-library also. *As per the terms of Notification published on 15.07.2009 in the Gazette of India.

For 100 Admission

Central library * There shall be an air-conditioned Central Library (1600 Sq.m) with seating arrangement for at least 200 students for reading and having good lighting and ventilation and space for stocking and display of books and journals. There shall be one room for 100 students inside and one room for 100 students outside. It should have not less than 7000 text and reference books. In a new medical college the total 7 number of books should be proportionately divided on yearly basis in five years. The number of journals shall be 100 out of which one-third shall be foreign journals and subscribed on continuous basis. The number of copies of textbooks in each subject of undergraduate teaching shall be ten. There shall be provision for – a. Staff reading room for 20 persons; b. Rooms for librarian and other staff; c. Journal room; d. Room for copying facilities; e. Video and Cassette room; f. Air-conditioned Computer room with Medlar and Internet facility with minimum of 25 nodes. Medical colleges should have skill labs and adopt information technology in teaching medicine. There shall be provision for e-library also. 

Sir, Kindly read the following documents

http://www.liscom.org/postContent/fullPaper/pdf/paper%20presented/P....

www.mciindia.org/helpdesk/how_to_start/STANDARD%20FOR%20150.pdf

P.Sellappan

Dear Sri Sellappan,

Many thanks for your post and the links are indeed very useful.
However, As Time & Tides waits for none, life goes on. During this time span of my post and your reply I have shifted to a University. I joined a Medical Institute as Chief Librarian on Sept 04/2015 and posted the query. As on today, I am heading the Library of a New University and my present requirement is UGC norms for Library (if there is any)

But still, I again convey you my deep appreciation for your post to help a co-professional.

Sincerely,

Siddhartha S. Ray
Calcutta

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop