LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Is Library Science the Worst Degree among all Degrees?

Respected Professionals,

I have come to know and my self had face this situation. Librarianship today is in its extreme critical situation. I cant blame to government and officials for its conditions but I think that we are also responsible for it. Our national and international level unions are busy only in their meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops all works are going under form of papers, nothing is going on real surfaces. Many unions are running in only papers there is no identity of library associations in this country. There are a few professional who give their precious time for the sake of profession. I call all the library professional under one roof and roar for their rights otherwise the day is not so far when library and librarianship will disappear from the list of profession.

Thank You

Views: 1701

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Dear Bharath Kumar ji,

I can understand your problem. Every person in this profession (including me) sometimes we will feel that we are neglected. But our professional job is like that. Our job is secondary in the organization. Ex. in the academics teachers are primary and in research organisation, scientists are primary. We are here to help them reach the organization goals. To overcome this, we have to work hard create to our importance in the organization so that nobody can neglect our presence.

I am also working in engineering colleges for last 20 years, apart from routine library works. I am providing additional services to my organization.

1. I am working as a college coordinator for e-learning portal which is provided by university. I am coordinating with faculty for developing e-classes within the organisation..

2. I developed   library website, where students and faculty easily access e-resources from anywhere.

3. I am giving project assistance to students. (Base papers, Research papers and Literature search) in the concern projects.

4. Helping faculty in their research work.  

5. Library alerts through mails and messages.

6. Publishing library bulletins.

7.I am recording my services with acknowledgements of users.

Last but least by doing all this I may or may not get financial benefit but definitely I will get my own job satisfaction.

Well said Sir ! I appreciate your thoughts regarding LIS profession ! A Librarian shouldn't think his profession is worst, He should be a scholar and master of all. We should take the life of Sri.S.R..Ranganathan as our role model.Impacting the society is something we should learn & Practice!!!

Very NICE point

Hi All,

I must agree with all the reply, but there is one question, If IIM Library, MICA Library, INFLIBNET Library or other famous institution libraries play important role in their are and are more important to their students, why not our library.
I think we are some how inefficient to reach our library at their level. If they can have values we too can have. we need to find out where we are behind and work on it rather that to tell this profession worst
Isn't it syllabus should also change and more related to e-resources
Srinivasa Rao Sir, I am agree with your thoughts, even i am given many other task, but i fully enjoy my profession. and never fill it neglected, even my students come to me if they have any query or they also come to me to solve their other problems, i found it much enjoying, i always said i got care from to many student who are confident to share their problem with me.
We required little effort from our side

Dear Sri Bharat Kumar Gehlot,

I have gone through your post and I fully understand your sentiments and those of other forum members.  Your post took me away for some moments to my schooldays when we were given a topic for writing essays or paragraphs.

The topic may appear quite familiar to many of the forum members,

it was:  Is Science A Blessing or a Curse?? I presume that the answer to your question is some what similar!!

Librarianship is a noble profession and I think that there is no question about it. the problem is how we, the professionals interpret it in our deeds!!

In our society we come across mainly three types of people:

One, those help others, protest against injustice and tries to make the world more worth living for fellow humans.

There are other section who does not take much interest about others and tries hard to do better for themselves and live happily.

There are the third section who always look out for their own profit/benefit and never even cares or thinks twice if such exercise may cause harms to others!!

We as professionals, are  also a part of the society and we too possess the above three attributes. From this society, we become teachers, we become spoke-persons, we become portfolio holders of Associations, we become experts in interviews and we become planners in the profession..

So you see, the problems lie with US, the professionals and for the sake of some sections of professionals it is not a good judgement to accuse the profession.

For the essay I have mentioned above, we used to write the conclusion Science is a means, sort of like an instrument, It can be used to make a "plough" to till the earth and feed hungry millions or a sword to kill innocent millions.

I believe that you have got my point.

Regards,

Siddhartha S. Ray, Calcutta

we are fight against these discrimination. come and join

Respected Professional,

I am obliged by your replies on the topic and I am thankful to all of you who spent their valuable time to give their kind suggestions. I have tried to find out the conclusion of the problem from these replies. A new energy is filled in my blood cells with some positive replies. 

Thanks a lot

Degrees by themselves are neither "Good" nor "Bad". It is the person who holds them who makes it either of the two!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop