LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Dear Professionals

This is a difficult time for us due to Covid-19. Everything is moving with distancing, like social distancing. We, library professionals, are almost fully dependent on electronics resources and services. In this condition, we have started various services and resumed the other going services. Let us think to begin our very special service which was almost outdated but now we can hinge this useful service to our work again, SDI(Selective Dissemination Information) in electronic format. 

As we all are aware that the SDI service is based on the print books/print resources and photocopy machines. My idea is that we can ask our users to request the contents which are in print books and we can scan the particular piece of information to provide them. 

All the ethical and professional terms and conditions of SDI should be followed here also like a few pages or certain paragraphs only to be printed/scanned served in the e-SDI service. 

With this, I would invite all the senior professionals to join me with the idea to recommend to implement in the libraries. 

Thanks. 

Views: 454

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

nice.

Thanks Sri Munesh Kumar for your post. 

As most of the Libraries have scanners, Computers and different online databases it has become quite easier these days to serve the Academic fraternity.

However, for SDI & CAS, I personally feel that Librarians should have , what is called "nodding knowledge" about the research work carried  on in their Institutions other wise the users' requests will go over their heads. For instance, in Medical Institutions, they should be well conversant with Medical Terminologies so that they can understand what the users require exactly. Besides, they must clearly understand the focus of various journals so that they can prepare a viable & comprehensive bibliographies and mail them to the requisite researcher so that the end user can ask for the pertinent material(s) 

Sincerely,

Siddhartha S. Ray, Calcutta

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop