LIS Links

First and Largest Academic Social Network of LIS Professionals in India

Book purchase policy or purchase procedures in Govt. Library

I have urgently required Library Manual or purchase procedure followed by govt. libraries in India. One more query, can I purchase directly by skipping the quotation process/ vendor impaneled? I want to invite some publisher or their representatives with catalogue related to subject field in-front of Library Committee  than committee will select some needful books from all publishers catalogue and placed purchase order to each publisher for their selected book on their given discount.

Views: 3343

Reply to This

Replies to This Forum

Dear Sri Krishna Kumar,

Thanks for your post. I presume that this issue had been discussed a couple of times in this forum. You may see to those forum discussions for your reference. However, regarding the rules, please visit the site of Federation of Publishers & Booksellers Associations of India/Good office Committee. It clearly describes that books are not "store items" and asking quotation is not mandatory.

Generally speaking, you may follow the following steps:

1. Insist on GOC terms
2. Ask for the latest editions unless you require any particular edition.
3. Ask for "Publishers' price proofs only" for foreign books.
4. Ask for documents relating to Foreign Currency Conversion Rates.

Your proposal to invite publishers' representatives is good (however, many publishers, specially the foreign ones, deal through vendors!) but selecting books from the catalogues right away might not always be judicious & helpful. You can, on the stead, "provisionally select" certain titles and ask for "SUPPLY ON INSPECTION" so that your committee members can go through the contents and select the most relevant titles. The books will be supplied by the vendors through "Challans" and you may retain the selected books and return those which are not selected.
For books, priced in foreign currencies, the conversion rates should be fixed on the basis of mutually agreed upon decision but it is preferable if you decide upon the challan date as the date for fixation of conversion rates.

In short, these are roughly the practice followed for book purchase in Govt. Organizations.

Sincerely,

Siddhartha S. Ray, Calcutta

Thank you sir.

My last experience of book purchase by quotation process was very worst. after passing a year some issues are still pending.

Dear All,

Please find the Karnataka Library Manual for your reference.

Regards,

Arunadevi S Lingam

Thanks Mam

Please refer the karnataka college library mannual which is attached.

Thanks mam

RSS

© 2024   Created by Dr. Badan Barman.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Koha Workshop